Friday, August 22, 2008

I'm Barista, Hear Me Roar!

I had my first day of training at Starbucks today.  Four hours of training and the end result is that I can now press the button and brew a pot of coffee.  Four hours of training for that.  

I don't know why I'm frustrated by this - it's no different than the tedious training processes with TGIFridays, Friendlys, Disney, Bath & Body Works... it's a large corporation and extremely self important.  I find myself again in the role of corporate peon.  This time, though, it's in the named role of "BARISTA" 

I'm an effing barista, baby!

I promised Tim, my trainer at Starbucks, a shout out on my blog tonight - so this is it.  I'm going to have "dreams" (read: nightmarish dreams?) of the three main actions: being welcoming, being considerate, being knowledgeable, being involved, and being genuine... by the way, I genuinely forgot that last action and had to look it up in my "Green Apron Book"

I love the proprietary handbooks that corporations thrust upon their workers!

Now, though, I'm finishing up an application for a scholarship, then gathering the materials I need to complete my eligibility for scoring various standardized testing services...

Peace out and I'll post a more interesting blog later!

No comments: