Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fall Semester, Day 2

It's nine in the morning and already a bloggable day!  

While the first day of school brought both Alexandra and myself to a state of anticipation marked by early rising and on-time-ness, the second day of the school year has brought a return to our normal patterns (somewhat).  It was a fight to get Alex out of bed this morning - and perhaps a fight for myself as well, considering the number of times I hit snooze.  We did make it to her bus stop in time for her to ride to school, but we did not leave the house early enough for me to stop at the gas station before taking her to the bus.  Oh well, I thought, I could just get gas this afternoon after my class and audition were over.

Unfortunately, my gas tank had other plans.  About a quarter mile after I'd left her bus stop, my car decided that it didn't like the fumes it was running on... and so it stopped running.  And I ran... out of gas.  Apparently, most of my friends who live in the area don't answer their cell phones at eight in the morning - at least not when their caller ID says Kylie.  Thankfully, AAA really is quick in Carbondale; someone brought me a couple of gallons of gas and I was on my way (to Huck's first, then school!).  

I now have gas in my tank, coffee in my belly, my reading homework from yesterday completed (what else do you do when you're sitting in a motionless car on Chatauqua?), and more than a bit of anticipation for my upcoming class and later choir audition.  

Tonight is Alexandra's first night back at Southern Illinois Children's Choir - which affords me the opportunity to get work done tonight as well, or at least some time on the computer while she's singing away.  We're getting back into the routine and I'm okay with that.  

My job hunt has made an interesting turn - I may be getting a part time job at the Starbucks on campus.  Considering I spend so much time (and money) here already, it makes sense.  I cut that expense, plus I regain a paycheck.  I'm putting my application in today and crossing my fingers.  I think the fact that I am friends with the manager (not to mention most of the staff) gives me a bit of an in.  :-D

Have I mentioned how I adore crony-ism in southern Illinois (when it suits my interests)?

No comments: