Monday, June 1, 2009

Honesty... it's such a simple word

Alexandra, did you put your school shoes on?
Yes!

two minutes later
Then why are you barefoot?
Oh. I forgot.


Everyone keeps telling me it's a phase, that she's going to grow out of her constant lying. I've heard all the psychological excuses for it - she's asserting control or independence over her own life. I get it, honest I do.
But I don't like it.

Honesty is something I demand in all my relationships - and it positively kills me that I can't get it from my own daughter.
When the culprit is an eight year old girl who goes to a Catholic school, the easy remedy (and one upon which I rely way too often) is to point out that she's breaking a commandment and that Jesus is watching her. That's usually enough to cause instant penitence and the truth to surface.
But she's eight.

What happens when she's 18?

Hopefully by then she's gotten past the lying about EVERYTHING stage - but will she be an honest person? Will she have the underlying respect for others that is demonstrated in said honesty?
Or will she be sneaky? Will she be constantly trying to get away with things behind other people's backs? I doubt an ominous comment about God's omniscience will be enough to straighten her out at that age.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it - after all... she's only eight years old. She's a good kid. She eats her vegetables, demonstrates an above average level of empathy in her dealings with others.
Maybe I'm looking at the rest of the world and imposing my distaste with the rest of humanity on her little shoulders.
Maybe it's a parent's nature to constantly second guess whether they're doing a good job in raising their children. After all, isn't there always something I could be doing better as her mother?

And maybe her foray into this realm of dishonesty is a good thing. Maybe (this might be the cynical mom speaking now) it is teaching her that not everyone tells the truth. Maybe it's teaching her to be a bit more discerning when it comes to trusting others.
Considering how trusting her mother tends to be - a little bit of hesitance on that front couldn't hurt...

No comments: