Friday, July 11, 2008

Can We Fix It? Yes We Can!

Yesterday we picked fresh avocados - here are the kids in the avocado tree after picking a backpack full!


Today...
We went to see Bob the Builder, live on stage, this morning.  Unfortunately, some of us overslept (okay, I was part of that guilty party) and we arrived a few minutes late for the show.  As there were seven of us and they'd already filled the theatre with standby, we didn't get to go in - at least, five of us didn't.  Suzanne was able to get herself and Mitchell (the three year old) in to see Bob and the rest of us went to wander the attached mall.  
Cool thing we discovered:  the donut shop here sells dinosaur shaped donuts.  Alexandra, Nikita, and Logan each had one and I got myself and my dad a coffee from Gloria Jean (yes, her franchise is over here as well!).  

We then wandered around for a bit before splitting up by gender.  I took the girls to ogle the children's clothes that were on sale and my father took ten year old Logan to the electronics store to look at video games.  We met back up with Suzanne and Mitchell and we all wandered the mall a bit more before heading home.  

This afternoon we drove out to Meringindan, the town where my aunt has a few houses, another one of my cousins lives, and where I spent time when I was eleven.  It's much changed - and sad to see some things have gone.  The shop and post office that I helped out in as a child is now closed; they've been taken over by a newer shop across the street.  The main house, though, look good and has been improved nicely.  

We then drove down to look at Coby Dam - a beautiful area that is sadly seeing the effects of long term water shortage.  The children enjoyed the playground and I love looking at the gum trees.  No koalas were out in sight today, but we did have an encounter with a couple of wallabies as we were driving back.  

Thing I learned today:  Never take seven people, including four children, grocery shopping if you expect to just go in and out.  
Dinner became a production as well, as the children all helped me bread the chicken and attempted to wrestle the mozzarella cheese from me.  Aside from rather well done garlic cheese bread, it came out decently.  
Thing I was most proud of for this meal:  That I finely diced fresh garlic, and then mixed it up into unsalted butter to spread on the bread before melting cheese over it.


Really, all these children as so wonderful.  Nikita is almost as sensitive as Alexandra, but Alex still has her beat.  She is quite possibly the most sensitive soul in the world.  
Logan is an instigator but so smart and really funny.  I know I keep saying he reminds me of me, but he does.  I think it's because he's a wise ass.
Mitchell announced to the dinner table of eight people that I make the best porridge.  I said no, that I'm sure he loves his mum's porridge, and he shook his head and said mine was better.
He devoured the chicken too...




No comments: