Thursday, May 1, 2008

Did I just join the Home School Association?

I should be working on my thesis. I'm supposed to be finishing up my Master's degree in Literature this summer - and that thesis needs to be finished.

Instead, I spent yesterday and today volunteering all day at the book fair at Alexandra's school. I also spent these two days learning things about myself and the reality in which I exist.

I discovered that all schools have good kids and bad kids. There will be kids who spend their money buying books for their younger siblings - and there will be kids who swipe toys from the tables. All schools have them.
I discovered that I can say no to frivolous requests for scented highlighters by my first grader and her friends. I may have succumbed to the poster for her bedroom, but I also managed to say no to the toys and the expensive, not-really-a-book, book. Even after the big blue puppy-dog eyes.
I discovered that going out to lunch with mom isn't quite as tempting as the cafeteria's texas toast. Instead, mom can go find a soda and cheeseburger at McDonald's.

Finally, I discovered that I may have joined the Home School Association.

Between all of Alexandra's activities and my studies and work, I realized last semester that I had too much on my plate. I cut back a lot of my own activities - stopped teaching Sunday School, volunteered for only one project at her school last semester, withdrew myself from the conference planning committee in my department. Rather than co-leading one of her two Brownie troops (yes, she's in two troops), I led one meeting this semester and have just helped out occasionally for both troops. Less commitments - that's what I have been going for.
I continued to volunteer at her school on a regular basis, but only for the first half of the year. Then I cut that as well.

Last week, at a Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon, I was recruited to be on a team of first grade moms for the school's golf scramble. It should be interesting - I've never golfed more than 18 holes of mini-golf.
This week, with the book fair at her school and me looking for a way to procrastinate with finishing the thesis and other responsibilities, I found myself spending a good amount of time selling books to children.
I was wary of the other mothers - after all, it's a small school and a small town - they all know each other. I felt accepted, though, and enjoyed spending the past two days with these women. They're interesting - and different from most of the people with whom I spend my time. I was enthralled with their stories and appreciated these new perspectives.

Then I was sucked in - actually, I think that was precisely the term one of them used when we parted this afternoon: "See you on Tuesday - now that we've sucked you in, we won't let you go!"
I've apparently become part of the committee to put together the Teacher and Staff Appreciation Luncheon on Tuesday. I'm in charge of finding entertainment (a musician who will play for a couple of hours) and I'm also drafted to monitor all the children on the playground for two hours while the luncheon takes place.

I know that my thesis is getting mad at me for not finishing it - but I have more and more sympathy for my own parents whom I always berated for being such "joiners."

No comments: