Sunday, June 29, 2008

Counting down the days...

We're leaving for Australia in two days - and I'm so excited!
Our bags are almost all packed; we have a load of laundry to do and go through and then that part's done.  I have a number of errands to run tomorrow morning - nothing like waiting until the day before we leave!  

I was sitting with Alexandra yesterday, waiting for food, and I watched her pull out a small container with toys in it, open it, then play with the toys quietly to herself.  I normally love to watch her amuse herself like that - even if it leaves me alone, watching her.  Her imagination fascinates me continually.  As I watched her yesterday, though, I had a realization.  

As a seven year old child, she needs to have toys.  Okay, it's not a life or death kind of need, but it would be mean to deprive her of any toys for an extended period of time.  While I'm sure she'd make up another game with whatever was around her, letting her have her little animals with her is probably the best idea.

Have I packed any toys?  Have I allowed her to pack any toys for our trip?

Uhm, no.  I've packed her numerous books and activity books (think money math workbooks) - and I told her she could bring one doll and one stuffed animal.
I realized yesterday that I've been pretty mean in that regard.  So - while we're almost done packing, we're going to have to pack some toys that she can bring with her on our journey...

I may even go so crazy as to let her bring a non-educational toy - it'll be WILD.

1 comment:

LittleRed said...

I'll be interested to read about your adventures down under. I hope you both have a wonderful time;)